Friday 3 February 2012

Marg: Kimbra gets to do it.

Every time I go to the hair dresser (which isn't often enough), I bring up the topic of bangs. And every time, I get cruelly shot down.

Most recently, the woman I've decided will probably be my go-to person* managed to skirt around the issue, telling me we could "try bangs" with great hesitation, then proceeding to simply not cut them. I still like her better than the last person I went to: 

"If you get bangs you'll look silly," said that stylist with asymmetrical, partially straight, partially spiky cropped purple and white-blond hair, "like a little girl."

Why all the professionals I've gone to are so hesitant to give me the bangs I've desired for so long, is for two reasons. One, my hair is... wavy-curly, I guess? I like to say that it is curly, but maybe only parts of it are (?), and all of it is wavy. And some days it is really curly. My mother insists that it isn't curly at all, but I think she is basing this around the fact that technically if I don't wash it, and then I brush out the curl, it looks almost straight. And before I hit puberty, it was straight, so maybe she feels like that is my real hair. Incidentally, I had bangs up until my grade 7 blossom into womanhood (ahahahahaha!), and when I grew them out, I parted my hair down the middle and clipped them out of the way on either side with some colorful snap barrettes. Excellent work, young Marg. 

The second reason is that I am always very honest with my hairdressers. I don't really know how to do my hair. I don't own a blow dryer or a functional straightening iron - and even if I did, I don't know how to use those devices. At all. I let my hair air dry (even in the freezing cold!) and I squish product in it (not gel though! No crusty-curls for this girl!). So, ultimately there runs a risk of the dreaded curly bang. Which, according to the pros will either make me look like Exhibit A:


He was very pretty.
 or like Exhibit B:



Would it be so bad?

But - my desire for bangs is quite strong, so I present to you Exhibit C, or the glory that is New Zealand songstress Kimbra and her most excellent curly bangs: 





So maybe there is hope for me after all? I'm no Kimbra, but our face shapes aren't that dissimilar (I think?), and I already have a bob. Debate amongst yourselves!


-Marg
@acuteinsomnia


*I have very little loyalty to people who cut my hair, except for my undying loyalty to Matthew, who has chopped it off three times for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!