Friday 10 February 2012

Matthew: 3 Shows You Should Be Watching, But Probably Aren't

So it's no secret that I watch my fair share of television. And you know what, I am not ashamed to say it. While it's not great to be too much of a couch potato, good television can stimulate creativity and critical thinking, it can even inspire you to get off that couch and kick your ass into high gear. Television is escapism, and don't we all need a little bit of that every now and then? (in some cases more often than not... maybe like 4-5 hours a day... WHAT that is crazy! Definitely not me!... eek)

So with all of that said here are my top 3 picks of T.V shows that everyone should be watching, but chances are that you're probably not. In not particular order they are:

Amber looks a lot less moody in season 3.
PARENTHOOD

Network: NBC/Global
Time slot: Tuesday at 10:00pm  


Currently in it's third season Parenthood is a 1 hour light drama about the Braverman family and all of their crazy shenanigans. Since it's debut the show has been a critical success but for some reason it hasn't gotten the viewership that many, including myself, feel it deserves.

Camille and Zeek are the heads of the family. They have 4 kids who all have kids, some are married and some are not. What has captivated me about this show and kept me watching is that it is all very real. The characters have the kind of problems and challenges that normal families have. People have financial problems, relationship issues, one of the grand kids has aspergers (side note, I spelled that word wrong while writing this post, and spell check was trying to convince me that the word I intended to write was beefburgers), and the show does a good job at reflecting what is currently happening in the USA (its shit economy). But even with all of the issues that this family faces, I never have the feeling that it has all been heightened for the sake of T.V and creating drama. I believe it. Also, you get the sense that some of the show is improv, either that or it's directed really well. Like in many large families you see people talking over one another and fighting to be heard and understood.

Check out Parenthood, I think you may be pleasantly surprised. 




DOWNTON ABBEY

Network: PBS
Time slot: Currently between seasons

Having just finished its second season, Downtown Abbey is the current buzz show on T.V, and for good reason. Set in England in 1912 it is a fantastic period drama centered around a massive estate and the inhabitants within it. We not only get the dirt from the super wealthy and fancy Crawley family who own the property, but we also get the skinny on the staff, and there are some real A-holes in that lot. 

I know for some, the thought of catching up on a show that is already past it's first season can be kind of daunting, but you are in luck! Each season of this British drama has under 10 episodes! (7 in season 1, 8 in season 2). I've just started watching, and currently I am on season 1 episode 4. Finding a good online link for season 1 has been kind of tough, but you can download the whole season on itunes for only $9.99.

Oh, and by the way- Maggie Smith is freaking hilarious.




Happy Endings

Network: ABC/City TV
Time slot: Wednesday at 9:30pm

I already have a co-worker hooked on this one- score 1 for me!

I don't think there are enough good things that I can say about this series. Currently it is mid way through it's second season, and let me just tell you, it is freaking hilarious. It's kind of like an updated Friends. You have three girls and three guys who all hang out and get themselves into crazy situations, but the difference is that there is no Ross and Rachel. No single character is really responsible for carrying the show and being the normal ones. It's also shot in a more modern sitcom format with no live audience. It's also one of those shows where you can play the game of who is who within your group of friends. Are you Max? or Brad? Maybe your more of a Jane... it has it all! And with hilarious guest spots by Megan Mullally you can't go wrong!


Matthew
@thematthewjames




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!