Wednesday 8 February 2012

Marg: Please Don't Go to Eel Marsh House - The Woman in Black Review


Watching The Woman in Black was one of the most stressful movie going experiences I've ever had. I was about to write "in a long time" there, but I also found watching The Grey to be incredibly stressful, so perhaps this is just a new viewing trend in my life. Of course, I hope that it isn't - I'd prefer to be able to watch a film in a public space and not be so viscerally affected by it that I feel more than a little ill. I don't automatically associate a movie's ability to illicit that sort of reaction from me as a sign of its over all quality either - also, it's embarrassing.

Some key things that frighten me are creepy dolls and other children's toys. And vengeful spirits. And I am someone who screams when things jump out at you, and I am a believer that the score of a film is an underestimated, amazing asset with which to stir emotion (in this case terror) from the audience. So basically, The Woman in Black was just about the worst thing I could have done to myself.

"Why did let you make me see this movie?" I harshly whispered to my boyfriend mid-way through the film. It was an irrational question, as he didn't make me do anything, but in that moment, my brain could not reconcile with itself that really, this was all my fault.

Mainly, I wanted to scream and couldn't, because I have some sense of decorum and don't like to shriek in public. What I did do was gasp a great deal, and squeeze said boyfriend's arm, and fingers, and (both) hands, and I probably hit him a few times? Honestly, much of the movie is just a blur... he says that at one point I actually said "uh-no!" and nearly fled the theater.

I definitely did make a noise and was nearly ill at the sight of a candle's reflection moving across the glass eyes of some Victorian children's toys - they looked like they were moving! Oh my god!

There is much of the film I didn't even actually see because I was hiding my eyes and cowering. I was literally fear-sweating. There was an extended creepy scene where I was really freakin' thirsty and wanted to take a drink of my giant iced tea but I really couldn't because I knew that damn Woman in Black was going to come out of nowhere and get Harry Potter and make me choke on it.
Daniel, she's literally right there! I'm going to die.

Because I had such an overwhelming experience with The Woman in Black, I guess I wish that it was actually just a well, better film? I really hated the ending. Like, it was just so weak that it was baffling. Daniel Radcliffe was serviceable, but his character was supposed to be a widower and father to a 4 year old. I referenced Radcliffe as Harry Potter above, but I never got into the film series, so I don't believe I'd have a problem seeing him as another character - BUT, he couldn't pull off the grown-up aspects this role required. The guy is what? Twenty-two? Technically, sure, he could be a young father - but I think Radcliffe is going to need just a few more years to pull off adult roles.

The supporting cast was talented, and the film was filled with all sorts of clever, creepy details - it was only about one rewrite away from being pretty damn good. It was a rewrite that I was basically doing myself on the walk home from the theater, which yes, as a writer is something that I do on occasion, but isn't something a film should want people to do.

Regardless of the flaws in The Woman in Black, I still had trouble getting to sleep last night. And if I ever see a creepy ass Victorian clown doll again, it will be much too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!