Tuesday 22 May 2012

Matthew: VEEP

A few weeks (ish) ago I blogged about the amazingness that is Summer t.v. I talked about some of my favorite shows (Nurse Jackie, The Big C) but I also mentioned a new comer that (as of then) hadn't aired yet. Veep. It's a new HBO comedy starring Julia Louie Dreyfus, the girl from My Girl and Buster from Arrested Development. Well, 5 episodes have aired since I wrote that post telling people to look out for it, and now that it's had a bit of a run, I can officially give my "Yay" or "Nay".

YAY! YAY! YAY!!!

This show is hilarious, and the casting is spot on perfect. The show is about life in the office of the Vice President of the U.S.A, and the thesis (for lack of a better word) is premise a better word? I dunno, ANYWAY- the idea is that the Vice President (or veep) is the most powerful powerless job in the world. And they really go to town on this. Every episode Selina (the V.P) asks her secretary if the President has called, and every time the answer is no. There's a character who comes into the office from the White House and basically tells the V.P and her staff what to do, and how to respond to certain things based on what the President believes.She really has little to no control. It's also a funny and seemingly realistic take on the power that lobbyists have over the government. One of the most memorable scenes is when someone tells her that the president is having chest pains over seas and she is needed at the White House to make some presidential type decisions. When Selina gets the news, she can hardly contain her excitement! Smiling with glee while saying things like "that's just terrible". It's awesome!

I really don't think I can do this show justice in an article. Just check it out- I think you'll really enjoy!

-Matthew
@thematthewjames   

Watch the video below to "Meet the Veep"


3 comments:

  1. I think you'll like this
    Talking 'Veep' with Frank Rich and Improv with Matt Walsh
    http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tb/tb120521talking_veep_with_fr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I completely agree! Could JLD be any better? Makes me wish Seinfeld had been on a network that allowed curse words. No one delivers an F-word quite like her.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think!