Monday 27 February 2012

Chit Chat: Academy Awards 2012


Marg:  okay - I did a pretty good job picking winners! I was um... occupied when they announced Midnight in Paris for best screenplay, who accepted that award?
Matt:  nobody. LAME . Even though he totally deserved that award, I think that purely because he refuses to go to award shows they should have given it to Bridesmaids.
Marg:  I agree! I was pleased that the Descendents won for best adapted, just because I like Jim Rash so much. Also, so happy for Christopher Plummer!!! I can't believe he's never won before!
Matt:  Oh me too. He was long over due. I still haven't seen The Beginners, I really want to tho. I'm hoping it will pop up on Netflix one of these days. I was really glad that Meryl Streep won.
Marg: Me too - people act like she's over awarded some times, but it's only her second Oscar
Matt: third.
Marg:  whatever
Matt:  But it was her first time winning in almost 30 years! It makes me made that some people are saying that the Academy didn't want to give it to Viola Davis because they didn't want two black women winning. That is bull shit.
Marg:I think it has more to do with not wanting the same film to win twice in acting
Matt:  Meryl Streep was amazing in The Iron Lady. AMAZING! And, Viola only started getting big buzz over the past few weeks. Meryl had the early buzz, when everyone would have voted.
Had the show been in another 2 weeks from now, and people had extra time to vote, things may had been different. But still, Meryl is QUEEN
Marg:  I say it was a fine choice! Can we take a moment for Billy Crystal?
Matt:  ahhh yes.
Marg:  Brutal.
Matt:  I liked him. Didn't love him. It was nice nostalgia I guess...
Marg:  I thought it seemed so thrown together! I know he was a replacement, but they've had weeks
Matt:  they had a few months
Marg:  Also, wtf was up with him in blackface?
Matt:  I know.....
Marg:  like seriously? No.
Matt:  I found him to be slightly mean to people, which I didn't think was his style. Overall, I found the show to be on the boring side.
Marg:  one of the only times I laughed was when he made fun of Nick Nolte
Matt:  Even all of the montage videos I thought were boring. Yes- that was funny. lol
Marg:  The montage videos made no sense! Why was Twilight in there?
Matt:  I know. Random. You would think they would show Oscar winning movies...
Marg:  But no. Any old movie will do
Matt:  I also thought Circ du Sole was really random. And a guy fell!!
Marg:  I saw that!  feel like no one in Circ has ever gone to the movies either. They are too busy training
Matt:  lol. So overall I thought the show seems a bit boring, and thrown together. Next year I hope Ellen Hosts again. or maybe Tina Fey.


FASHION ROUND-UP

Matt:  Okay- Fashion. Who were your favs?
Marg: Maya Rudolph - loved LOVED the colour, great detailing, sophisticated, just great.
Matt:  Agree I thought she looks pretty classy. I also loved Penelope Cruz. I thought she looked classic
Marg::  See, I thought she looked like she was trying way too hard
Matt:   I think you should try hard at the Oscars
Marg::  Bérénice Bejo's dress looked amazing. I loved the beading, the whole thing looked lighter than air. I wish her hair was a little bigger though. Not much, just a little.
Matt:  Yeah- her hair ruined it for me. I liked Gwyneth and the cape
Marg: me too!
Matt:  It was a risky choice. But I think she was smart. Everyone kept saying how cold it was, and she was toasty warm in that thing.
Marg: She looked like an ivory pillar. In a good way. Natalie Portman - loved the polka dots, fantastic shade of red on her
Matt:  I think so too. There was something about the necklace that I didn't like. It all felt a bit 90's put together. But I thought the dress alone was really lovely. Octavia Spencer I thought looked great. I thought the silhouette was awesome on her.
Marg:   me too - another example of great bead work
Matt:  Any uggo's?
Marg:   Yes. Many.
Matt:  haha
Marg:  I hated Melissa McCarthy's dress. I wanted to like it. I just couldn't
Matt:  I liked everything minus the sleeves
Marg:  The colour was gross. And the sleeves looked broken
Matt:  I really didn't like Viola Davis's dress. I love that she didn't wear a wig, but I thought the dress (especially the bottom half) was fugs
Marg:  I loved her hair (everyone did!) but the dress looked like something a girl with low self esteem would wear to prom.
Matt:  It was a bad wedding dress died green
Marg:  I didn't like Michelle Williams' dress. I get that she is adorable and talented (and I love that Busy Phillips is her date to these things, and I wish they were my friends!) but the mid-section of the dress? With its tacky rhinestone bow? No thank-you
Matt:  I agree! there was so much going on! It's like- just pick one cute thing and work it!
Marg:  I need all the cute things!!! Look at my hair!!!!
Matt:  haha- J.Lo looked trashy and I'm pretty sure I could see her nipps
Marg:  Okay, the Edith Head quote?!?! I was like... are you listening to the words that are coming out of your own mouth?
Matt:  not only are you listening to the words coming out of your mouth, but did you look at your sleeves before you left the house? You are missing chunks! Lots of bad sleeves this year
Marg:  Year o' the ugly sleeves. When Melissa Leo presented, I thought the top of her dress was leopard print. In pictures (and when she was in the audience) it seems to be just sequins. Either way, ugly dress.
Matt:  Yeah- it was really underwhelming,
Matt:  I also really disliked Shaliene Woodly (girl from The Descendants)
Marg:  that's who that is! I didn't know who I was looking at, so I didn't pay any attention
Matt:  yeah- white turtleneck dress with air holes
Marg:  right, yeah, it's coming back to me, haha Every time I see Antonio Banderas and Melanie Griffith, I am like "oh yeah, that's still happening" and they've been together for years, so its not fair at all. What is fair to say is that her dress didn't fit her, looked cheap and sloppy, and showed off her nasty upper arm tat.
Matt:  She is tickety tack but love is love
Marg: I don't want to pick on Stacey Keibler. I really don't. I feel like the whole world knows that her getting to go to the Oscars is just weird and outside of the natural order of things. And it must be hard if the general assumption is that your boyfriend will never take you seriously and you'll be replaced by a younger woman come Oscar time next year. So I don't want to be mean about her. So I present the dress without comment
Matt:  haha I had no idea until last night that she was a wrestler!
Marg: yes! Well... not a wrestler-wrestler, pretty sure she was just like, a you-know, ring bimbo, haha They probably didn't make her fight "real" fights
Matt:  either way, I had no clue she used to be white trash
Marg: still dressed up like an Oscar to go to the Oscars
Matt:  who was your favorite oscar look alike? Stacy Keibler, Meryl Streep, or Oprah?
Marg:  Meryl, obvs. She looked like she was wearing a golden duvet.
Matt:  haha- loved it, Also- I love Pharell. He looked great. I didn't like all of the shots that they kept doing of that band in the balcony, but he looked good.
Marg:  Oh yes, best dressed men: James Earl Jones He looked so nice in his waistcoat.
Matt:  Christopher Plummer in is Navy Velvet tux.
Marg:  LOVED IT. Speaking of Christopher Plummer, during his acceptance speech, they panned to his wife Elaine Taylor in the audience, and I literally gasped "She's beautiful"
Matt:  We all commented on her foxiness
Marg:  I am kinda obsessed with foxy old women
Matt:  I loved Carl's powder blue suit
Marg: Are you talking about the seat filler?
Matt:  yeah! He was a stud.
Marg:  haha - I liked him. Angelina Jolie had so much fun with that slit in her dress. So much. Most fun she's had in years that wasn't related to children.
Matt:  I thought she was very odd to watch last night.
Marg: It's because you're not used to seeing her having fun.


Best & Worst Dressed Oscar Gallery 2012!

3 comments:

  1. My love of late 90s-early 2000s "wrestling" compels me to tell you that Stacy Keibler was in fact in some fights. The majority of her duties were managing various men, but she did indeed wrestle in various matches, including the first ever Bra and Panties match. She was clearly super classy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Angelina's issue is that her dress is made out of a fabric that is ultra thick... It basically ate up her body so you can't really see what kind of actual frame she has. Made her arms and limbs looks ridiculously small because of the proportion illusion.

    I totally agree on the MAya Rudolph pick though. Love her. She's looking good!

    DJ EW

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think!