Thursday 16 February 2012

Chit Chat: New Girl Review

 * Sorry this one is a day late folks!


Matt:  Hey lady
Marg:  Hey fella
Matt: how's it hangin'
Marg:  loose, man, hanging loose
I don't really know what that means, of course
Matt:  im sure you can imagine
Marg:  you watch new girl yet?
Matt:  no i didnt watch last night.
But you can school me on your thoughts
Marg:  I don't know how much I can say without spoiling it for you!
Big stuff happens
Big.
Matt:  oh my
I know that one of the guys from True Blood was on it
Marg:  I don't watch that show, so I don't know which guy he was supposed to be
I only recognise two dudes from True Blood - the ugly one who is married to Anna Paquin in real life, and the blond guy that every goes on about
Matt:  he was playing Jess's love interest
I don't know his name- or enough about him to describe him. All I know is that Shawn got all flustered and excited.
Marg:  well, that guy is blond, but not the same dude
Anyway, hilarious episode, and I think I can tell you one moment because I have thoughts and feelings about it
Matt:  ooo okay
Marg:  Valentines Day - Jess goes out because she's feeling "twirly" and wants a one night stand
Schmitt and CeCe go with her, because she really can't be left to her own devices
Marg:  There is a scene where she goes to try and be seductive toward this guy at the bar, and she asks if she can have the cherry from his drink
And because it is Jess, she chokes on the cherry. It's a good bit of physical comedy
Anyway, here are my thoughts and feelings!
Matt:  lol
Marg:  I predict that stupid critics will add this to their list of reasons why Jess is an unrealistic character, and their reasoning will be: A woman that hot doesn't need to act seductive in the bar to get picked up
Which is what they keep saying anytime Jess awkwardly tries to be sexy or whatever
And I find this critism to be downright sexist, and absurd!
Matt:  I know lots of people who are awkward when it comes to being sexy
Marg:  Because: It is awkward and embarassing, if you have a brain to just stand somewhere being "sexy"
Matt:  I'm awkward when it comes to being sexy.
Marg:  exactly!
Marg:  As a human being, who isn't particularly used to being objectified (CeCe is a model, for example, she can play the part in a bar because she is paid to just shut off and be sexy), it makes perfect sense for her to mess up such a ridiculous seduction
Marg:  But people assume that just because a woman in attractive, that either she has no internal monolog, or she is able to turn it off - and that's a really sexist assumption!
Matt:  Ugh. Men are pigs.
Marg:  Sadly, there are a lot of women critics making the same assumptions.
Anyway, that's my new girl rant! haha
I am a staunch defender of Zooey Deschanel
Matt:  The show is freaking hilarious.
It should be on demand today, so I'll give it a go tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!